Employment Pass (EP)
The Employment Pass (EP) allows foreign professionals, managers and executives to work in Singapore. Candidates need to earn at least $3,600 a month and have acceptable qualifications.
Key Facts on Employment Pass (EP)
Get a quick overview of the Employment Pass to decide if it is the right pass for you.
|Who it is for||Foreign professionals with a job offer in Singapore who meet the eligibility criteria.|
|Who can apply||An employer or appointed employment agent needs to apply on behalf of the candidate.|
|Minimum salary||Fixed monthly salary of at least $3,600 (more experienced candidates need higher salaries).|
|What is the duration||The duration of the pass is as follows:
|Is it renewable||Yes.|
|Passes for family||Available for eligible pass holders.|
|Foreign worker levy or quota||No foreign worker levy or quota required.|
|Medical insurance||Employers can choose whether to provide medical insurance for EP holders.|
|Relevant legislation||Conditions of Work Pass
Employment of Foreign Manpower Act
Eligibility for Employment Pass
Only eligible candidates will be considered for an Employment Pass. Criteria include a minimum salary of $3,600 and acceptable qualifications. Use the Self-Assessment Tool to check a candidate’s eligibility before you apply.
Who is eligible
The Employment Pass is for foreign professionals who:
- Have a job offer in Singapore.
- Work in a managerial, executive or specialised job.
- Earn a fixed monthly salary of at least $3,600 (more experienced candidates need higher salaries).
- Have acceptable qualifications, usually a good university degree, professional qualifications or specialist skills.
Application for an Employment Pass is open to all nationalities.
Note on salaries:
- Young graduates from good institutions can qualify if they earn at least $3,600.
- Older, more experienced candidates need higher salaries to qualify.
Note on acceptable qualifications:
- We don’t have a list of approved institutions. Instead, we evaluate each application on its own merit, based on a wide range of criteria such as global and country rankings, and enrolment standards.
- Candidates without acceptable qualifications may not necessarily be rejected. Similarly, having acceptable qualifications does not guarantee approval.
- We look at other factors such as proven track records and exceptional skill sets on a case-by-case basis.
Self-Assessment Tool (SAT)
Ministry Of Manpower (MOM) encourages you to use the Self-Assessment Tool (SAT) to get an indication of whether a candidate meets the Employment Pass requirements. Candidates can also use the tool to assess their eligibility.
If the SAT shows that the candidate is not eligible, you shouldn’t apply for the Employment Pass because it will be rejected.
If the SAT shows that the candidate is eligible, there is around a 90% chance that the candidate will get a pass.
If you are an overseas employer that does not have a registered office in Singapore:
- You need to get a Singapore-registered company to act as a local sponsor and apply on your behalf.
- The local sponsor must apply manually.
The candidate will still need to meet the Employment Pass criteria.
Passes for family of Employment Pass holders
As an Employment Pass holder, you can get certain family members to join you in Singapore if you meet the eligibility requirements.
Who is eligible
To be eligible, you need to:
- Earn at least $6,000 a month.
- Hold an Employment Pass.
From 1 January 2018, work pass holders will need to meet a minimum salary criteria of $6,000 to enjoy dependant privileges.
These are the family members you can bring in and the type of pass they need:
|Family member||Pass type|
|Legally married spouse||Dependant’s Pass|
|Unmarried children under 21, including those legally adopted||Dependant’s Pass|
|Common-law spouse||Long Term Visit Pass|
|Unmarried handicapped children above 21||Long Term Visit Pass|
|Unmarried step-children under 21||Long Term Visit Pass|
(Only for EP holders earning at least $12,000)
|Long Term Visit Pass|
How to apply
To apply, your employer will need to submit a separate application for each family member. The application can be submitted together with the Employment Pass application or separately.
Documents required for Employment Pass
You need to submit documents such as copies of passport details and educational certificates along with the Employment Pass application.
You will need these documents to apply for an Employment Pass:
- Personal particulars page of the candidate’s passport.
- Company’s latest business profile or instant information registered with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA).
- Candidate’s educational certificates, e.g. degree certificate. You will need additional documents for:
|Qualifications from||Additional documents needed|
|China||Verification proof for diploma and above qualifications.
· You can get the verification proof directly in English from sources such as Dataflow, China Higher Education Student Information and Career Centeror China Academic Degrees & Graduate Education Information.
· Education certificates certified by a notary public are not accepted as a form of verification proof.
MOM may ask for other documents during review of your application.
If you are asked for the verification proof of your candidate’s qualifications, you can get it from Dataflow or other global verification agencies. Alternatively, if the verification agency or educational institute has an online instant verification portal, you can submit the screenshot and web page address showing the verification result.
For non-English documents, you must submit the original document and an English translation. The translation can be done by a translation service provider.
You will need to submit additional documents for the following:
For regional representatives of overseas companies
You will need:
- A copy of the approval letter from Enterprise Singapore for setting up the representative office in Singapore.
- A letter from the representative’s office headquarters stating:
- The purpose of the application.
- The duration of the candidate’s assignment.
- A guarantee for the maintenance and repatriation of the candidate.
For healthcare professionals, lawyers, football players or coaches
You will need supporting documents from the respective professional bodies:
|Dentist||Singapore Dental Council|
|Diagnostic radiographer||Allied Health Professions Council|
|Doctor||Singapore Medical Council|
|Football player or coach||Sport Singapore|
|Lawyer||Legal Services Regulatory Authority|
|Nurse||Singapore Nursing Board|
|Occupational therapist||Allied Health Professions Council|
|Pharmacist||Singapore Pharmacy Council|
|Physiotherapist||Allied Health Professions Council|
|Radiation therapist||Allied Health Professions Council|
|Speech therapist||Allied Health Professions Council|
|TCM practitioner||Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners Board|
For employees in a food establishment
A copy of the foodshop licence issued by NEA.
If you have a new establishment and don’t have the licence from NEA yet, you can submit a copy of the “Application for Foodshop Licence” letter issued to you by NEA.
- Know the eligibility and requirements
- Check the documents required
Before candidate arrives in Singapore:
- Apply for pass
After candidate arrives in Singapore:
- Get the pass issued
- Register for fingerprints and photo
- Receive the pass card
As and when required:
- Notify with any changes
- Renewal of pass
- Replace a lost or damaged pass card
- Cancel a pass