Employment Pass (EP)

Guide For Employment Pass (EP)

Employment Pass (EP)

The Employment Pass (EP) allows foreign professionals, managers and executives to work in Singapore. Candidates need to earn at least $3,600 a month and have acceptable qualifications.


Key Facts on Employment Pass (EP)

Get a quick overview of the Employment Pass to decide if it is the right pass for you.

Who it is for Foreign professionals with a job offer in Singapore who meet the eligibility criteria.
Who can apply An employer or appointed employment agent needs to apply on behalf of the candidate.
Minimum salary Fixed monthly salary of at least $3,600 (more experienced candidates need higher salaries).
What is the duration The duration of the pass is as follows:

  • First-time candidates: up to 2 years
  • Renewals: up to 3 years
Is it renewable Yes.
Passes for family Available for eligible pass holders.
Foreign worker levy or quota No foreign worker levy or quota required.
Medical insurance Employers can choose whether to provide medical insurance for EP holders.
Relevant legislation Conditions of Work Pass
Employment of Foreign Manpower Act

Eligibility for Employment Pass

Only eligible candidates will be considered for an Employment Pass. Criteria include a minimum salary of $3,600 and acceptable qualifications. Use the Self-Assessment Tool to check a candidate’s eligibility before you apply.


Who is eligible

The Employment Pass is for foreign professionals who:

  • Have a job offer in Singapore.
  • Work in a managerial, executive or specialised job.
  • Earn a fixed monthly salary of at least $3,600 (more experienced candidates need higher salaries).
  • Have acceptable qualifications, usually a good university degree, professional qualifications or specialist skills.

Application for an Employment Pass is open to all nationalities.

Note on salaries:

  • Young graduates from good institutions can qualify if they earn at least $3,600.
  • Older, more experienced candidates need higher salaries to qualify.

Note on acceptable qualifications:

  • We don’t have a list of approved institutions. Instead, we evaluate each application on its own merit, based on a wide range of criteria such as global and country rankings, and enrolment standards.
  • Candidates without acceptable qualifications may not necessarily be rejected. Similarly, having acceptable qualifications does not guarantee approval.
  • We look at other factors such as proven track records and exceptional skill sets on a case-by-case basis.


Self­-Assessment Tool (SAT)

Ministry Of Manpower (MOM) encourages you to use the Self-Assessment Tool (SAT) to get an indication of whether a candidate meets the Employment Pass requirements. Candidates can also use the tool to assess their eligibility.

If the SAT shows that the candidate is not eligible, you shouldn’t apply for the Employment Pass because it will be rejected.

If the SAT shows that the candidate is eligible, there is around a 90% chance that the candidate will get a pass.

If you are an overseas employer that does not have a registered office in Singapore:

  • You need to get a Singapore-registered company to act as a local sponsor and apply on your behalf.
  • The local sponsor must apply manually.

The candidate will still need to meet the Employment Pass criteria.


Passes for family of Employment Pass holders

As an Employment Pass holder, you can get certain family members to join you in Singapore if you meet the eligibility requirements.

Who is eligible

To be eligible, you need to:

  • Earn at least $6,000 a month.
  • Hold an Employment Pass.

From 1 January 2018, work pass holders will need to meet a minimum salary criteria of $6,000 to enjoy dependant privileges.

These are the family members you can bring in and the type of pass they need:

Family member Pass type
Legally married spouse Dependant’s Pass
Unmarried children under 21, including those legally adopted Dependant’s Pass
Common-law spouse Long Term Visit Pass
Unmarried handicapped children above 21 Long Term Visit Pass
Unmarried step-children under 21 Long Term Visit Pass
(Only for EP holders earning at least $12,000)
Long Term Visit Pass
How to apply

To apply, your employer will need to submit a separate application for each family member. The application can be submitted together with the Employment Pass application or separately.

Documents required for Employment Pass

You need to submit documents such as copies of passport details and educational certificates along with the Employment Pass application.

You will need these documents to apply for an Employment Pass:

  • Personal particulars page of the candidate’s passport.
  • Company’s latest business profile or instant information registered with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA).
  • Candidate’s educational certificates, e.g. degree certificate. You will need additional documents for:
Qualifications from Additional documents needed
India ·        Transcripts

·        Marksheets

China Verification proof for diploma and above qualifications.

·        You can get the verification proof directly in English from sources such as DataflowChina Higher Education Student Information and Career Centeror China Academic Degrees & Graduate Education Information.

·        Education certificates certified by a notary public are not accepted as a form of verification proof.

MOM may ask for other documents during review of your application.

If you are asked for the verification proof of your candidate’s qualifications, you can get it from Dataflow or other global verification agencies. Alternatively, if the verification agency or educational institute has an online instant verification portal, you can submit the screenshot and web page address showing the verification result.

For non-English documents, you must submit the original document and an English translation. The translation can be done by a translation service provider.

You will need to submit additional documents for the following:

For regional representatives of overseas companies

You will need:

  • A copy of the approval letter from Enterprise Singapore for setting up the representative office in Singapore.
  • A letter from the representative’s office headquarters stating:
    • The purpose of the application.
    • The duration of the candidate’s assignment.
    • A guarantee for the maintenance and repatriation of the candidate.
For healthcare professionals, lawyers, football players or coaches

You will need supporting documents from the respective professional bodies:

Occupation Professional body
Dentist Singapore Dental Council
Diagnostic radiographer Allied Health Professions Council
Doctor Singapore Medical Council
Football player or coach Sport Singapore
Lawyer Legal Services Regulatory Authority
Nurse Singapore Nursing Board
Occupational therapist Allied Health Professions Council
Pharmacist Singapore Pharmacy Council
Physiotherapist Allied Health Professions Council
Radiation therapist Allied Health Professions Council
Speech therapist Allied Health Professions Council
TCM practitioner Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners Board
For employees in a food establishment

A copy of the foodshop licence issued by NEA.

If you have a new establishment and don’t have the licence from NEA yet, you can submit a copy of the “Application for Foodshop Licence” letter issued to you by NEA.


Pass Stages:

Before Applying:
  • Know the eligibility and requirements
  • Check the documents required
Before candidate arrives in Singapore:
  • Apply for pass
After candidate arrives in Singapore:
  • Get the pass issued
  • Register for fingerprints and photo
  • Receive the pass card
As and when required:
  • Notify with any changes
  • Renewal of pass
  • Replace a lost or damaged pass card
  • Cancel a pass


ACHI BIZ is one of the licensed Employment Agencies in Singapore. We will assist your work pass related applications and appeals at our level best with the regulatory authority Ministry Of Manpower (MOM) for successful outcome.
Please refer to our GUIDES for more information, SERVICES to meet your requirements or CONTACT us if you wish to avail these or many other services.