Singapore Miscellaneous Passes

Miscellaneous Work Pass (MWP) In Singapore

The Miscellaneous Work Pass is for eligible foreigners on short-term work assignments, such as speakers at a seminar, religious workers or journalists. Find out who is eligible and how to apply.

Key facts on Miscellaneous Work Pass (MWP)

Get an overview and key facts about the Miscellaneous Work Pass for foreigners on short-term work assignments.
 Find out key facts about the pass:

Who it is for
  • Eligible foreigners on short-term assignments, such as speakers at a seminar, religious workers or journalists.
Who can apply
  • An employer or local sponsor needs to apply for the pass.
What is the duration
  • Up to 60 days.
Is it renewable
  • No.
Passes for family
  • Not available.
Foreign worker levy or quota
  • No foreign worker levy or quota required.
Relevant legislation
  • Conditions of Work Pass
  • Employment of Foreign Manpower Act

Eligibility for Miscellaneous Work Pass

The Miscellaneous Work Pass is for eligible foreigners on short-term work assignments, such as speakers at a seminar, religious workers or journalists.

Who is eligible

You are eligible to apply if you are:

  • A foreigner directly involved in, but not limited to, organising or conducting any seminar, conference, workshop or gathering that:
    • Relates directly or indirectly to any religious belief, or to religion generally.
    • Relates directly or indirectly to any race or community generally.
    • Is cause-related or directed towards a political end, including involvement as a speaker, moderator, facilitator or trainer.
  • A foreign religious worker giving talks directly or indirectly related to any religion.
  • A foreign journalist, reporter, or accompanying crew member not supported or sponsored by any Singapore Government agency to cover an event or write a story in Singapore.

You must also be sponsored by a Singapore-based organisation or society.


The Miscellaneous Work Pass lets you take on assignments of up to 60 days in Singapore.
Note: If you are a foreigner performing at a public entertainment venue such as a nightclub, lounge or hotel, you should get a Work Permit for performing artiste instead.

Apply for a Miscellaneous Work Pass

If you are an employer or local sponsor, you can submit a Miscellaneous Work Pass application at any SingPost branch. You should apply at least 2 months before the assignment starts.

At a glance

Who can apply Employer or local sponsor.
How much it costs
  • $70 administrative fee.
  • Note: From 1 April 2019, there will be adjustments to the application and issuance / renewal fees for Employment Pass, S Pass, Work Permit and other passes.
How long it takes
  • Around 2 months.
Related eServices
  • Check application status online


  • Apply early and include all relevant information to avoid unnecessary delays to your event. Event organisers are advised not to publicise the candidate’s participation in the event until the work pass has been approved.
  • You should only bring in candidates when the pass is approved. If a candidate is in Singapore with a visit pass that will expire before the work pass is issued, MOM won’t be able to extend the visit pass.

Documents required

You will need these documents to apply:

  • Personal particulars page of the candidate’s passport.
  • A synopsis of the talk or event (if applicable).
  • Company’s latest business profile, instant information or registration papers registered with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) or professional bodies.

MOM may ask for other documents when MOM reviews your application.
For non-English documents, you must submit an English translation and a copy of the original document. The translation can be done by a translation service provider.

Submit an application

Processing time: Around 2 months
To submit the application:

  1. Get a written consent to apply for the pass from the candidate.
  2. Complete the Miscellaneous Work Pass Application Form and include the supporting documents mentioned in the form.
    • When filling out the Occupations field, choose the closest match from the A-Z list of standard occupations: A-IJ-RS-Z.
  3. Submit the completed application and supporting documents over the counter at any SingPost branch.
  4. Pay the $70 fee for each application. You can pay by cash, NETS or CashCard. Keep the payment advice slip given to you as proof of your submission.
  5. Check the application status online around 1 week after submission.

It takes around 2 months to process the application. If approved, MOM will mail the approval letter to the sponsoring company.

  • Pass holders are only allowed to participate in the activity at the venue and date shown in the approval letter.
  • Pass holders also need a valid Short Term Visit Pass for their stay. These are issued by the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority upon arrival.

Change event details

If you want to change the synopsis, time, venue or programme of the event, you need to inform MOM at least 1 month before the date of the approved original programme.

Why must I get a foreigner’s written consent before applying for a work pass for them?

As an employer, you must get written consent before applying for a work pass to protect the interests of both parties should a dispute arise.
This applies to all applications and renewals for all types of work passes.
MOM considers any document to be written consent if it shows a foreigner’s agreement to be employed by the employer. An example will be a signed employment contract.
There is no particular format, but a verbal consent will not be accepted.
If the foreigner objects to a work pass application being submitted on their behalf, they may approach MOM. MOM will ask the employer for the written consent and may take action if it cannot be produced.

ACHI BIZ is one of the licensed Employment Agencies in Singapore. We will assist your work pass related applications and appeals at our level best with the regulatory authority Ministry Of Manpower (MOM) for successful outcome.
Please refer to our GUIDES for more information, SERVICES to meet your requirements or CONTACT us if you wish to avail these or many other services.