A woman in a mechanical shop with spanner with S Pass infographicSingapore S Pass

The S Pass allows mid-level skilled staff to work in Singapore. Candidates need to earn at least $2,500 a month with effect from 01-October-2020 and have the relevant qualifications and work experience.

The criteria for older and more experienced S Pass candidates has been increased w.e.f. 01-October-2020, for example, an S Pass applicant in his early 40s will need to earn higher than the minimum qualifying salary of $3,000 which increases up to $4,500.

S Pass renewals will be subject to the new salary requirement only with effect from 01-Sep-2023 to moderate the impact on businesses.


Employment Pass & S Pass – advertising requirements under the Fair Consideration Framework

Employer must advertise on MyCareersFuture at: www.mycareersfuture.gov.sg  for at least 14 calendar days w.e.f. 01-Sep-2022 unless MOM has explicitly exempted the company or job from this requirement.

  • Consider all candidates fairly before you apply for an S Pass.
  • Before applying for an S Pass, you should advertise the job on MyCareersFuture and consider all candidates fairly.
  • This is expected of all employers.
Fair Consideration Framework (FCF)

The Fair Consideration Framework (FCF) sets out the requirements for all employers in Singapore to consider candidates fairly for job opportunities. Employers should not discriminate candidates based on non-job related characteristics such as age, gender, nationality or race.

All employers in Singapore are expected to adhere to the Tripartite Guidelines on Fair Employment Practices.

Consider all candidates fairly

To promote fair employment practices and improve labour market transparency, employers submitting S Pass applications should first advertise on MyCareersFuture, and consider all candidates fairly.

Advertising requirements

The advertisement should clearly explain the job requirements and salary offered to attract the right candidates.

MOM will reject any S Pass applications linked to advertisements that are discriminatory or do not represent the job accurately:

  • The advertisement must not contain discriminatory words or phrases – see examples.
  • The job advertised must match the occupation in the S Pass application.
  • The employer submitting the S Pass application must be the same as the one in the job advertisement.
  • The salary offered must be clear, specific, and consistent. Therefore the salary range advertised:
    • Must be visible to all candidates and cannot be hidden.
    • Cannot be too broad, i.e. the maximum salary cannot exceed two times of the minimum salary.
    • Must contain the salary offered to the S Pass candidate.
  • The advertisement must be open for at least 14 days to allow job seekers to view and apply for the vacancy.
  • If you change any advertisement details (e.g. job title, salary or number of vacancies), you must keep it open for at least another 14 days before you can submit the S Pass application. This is to ensure that job seekers are aware of the updated job details and have a chance to apply for it.
  • Job advertisements that have expired or have closed for more than 3 months cannot be used for S Pass applications. You must advertise the vacancy again to reach out to other job seekers.

Infographic for FCF expired job advertisement






  • If you are using an advertisement for multiple S Pass applications, the total number of S Pass applications cannot exceed the number of vacancies in the advertisement.
Exemption from advertising requirement

All employers must practise fair hiring even if their job vacancies can be exempted from advertising.

For practical reasons, you are not required to advertise on MyCareersFuture if any of the following applies:

  • Your company has fewer than 10 employees.
  • The fixed monthly salary for the vacancy is $20,000 and above (To be increased to $22,500 & above w.e.f. 01-Sep-2023).
  • The vacancy is short-term, i.e. not more than 1 month.
Click here to learn about FCF requirements


Singapore Passes available for Skilled And Semi-Skilled Workers
Comparison of All Skilled And Semi-Skilled Work Passes And Work Permits In Singapore


Upcoming changes to S Pass eligibility

MOM will be raising the qualifying salaries and levies for S Pass holders, to uplift the quality of S Pass holders to the top one-third of our local APT workforce. These changes will apply progressively from 1 September 2022. S Pass quotas will also be updated from 1 January 2023.

Changes to S Pass qualifying salaries

The minimum qualifying salary for S Pass applications will be raised in three steps, as follows. Older candidates will continue to require a higher salary to qualify.


From 1 Sep 2022 for new applications /

From 1 Sep 2023 for renewals

From 1 Sep 2023 for new applications /

From 1 Sep 2024 for renewals

From 1 Sep 2025 for new applications /

From 1 Sep 2026 for renewals


(except financial services)


(increases up to $4,500 for those in mid-40s)

At least $3,150

At least $3,300

Financial services


(increases up to $5,500 for those in mid-40s)

At least $3,650

At least $3,800


Changes to S Pass levy rates

The S Pass Basic / Tier 1 levy rate will also be raised in three steps, as follows:

From 1 Sep 2022

From 1 Sep 2023

From 1 Sep 2025

Change from $330 to $450

From $450 to $550

From $550 to $650


  • There are no changes to the levy for Tier 2 S Pass holders, which will remain at $650.

Changes to S Pass quota


From 1 Jan 2023

  • Construction
  • Manufacturing
  • Marine Shipyard
  • Process (PCM)

Change from 18% to 15% of total workforce

  • Services

No change


Key facts on S Pass in Singapore

The S Pass allows mid-level skilled staff to work in Singapore. Candidates need to earn at least $2,500 a month with effect from 01-October-2020 and have the relevant qualifications and work experience.

Get an overview and key facts about the S Pass for hiring technical staff to work in Singapore.

Who it is for
  • Mid-skilled technical staff who meet the eligibility criteria.
Who can apply
  • An employer or appointed employment agent must apply on behalf of the applicant.
  • If the pass holder changes jobs, the new employer or the appointed employment agency has to apply for a new pass.
Minimum salary
  • Fixed monthly salary of at least $3,000/- (w.e.f. 01-Sep-2022) for all Sectors excluding Financial Sectors
  • Older in mid-40s and more experienced S Pass candidates need to earn higher than the qualifying salary which increases up to $4,500 for all Sectors excluding Financial Sectors


  • Fixed monthly salary of at least $3,500/- (w.e.f. 01-Sep-2022) for Financial Sectors
  • Older in mid-40s and more experienced S Pass candidates need to earn higher than the qualifying salary which increases up to $5,500 for Financial Sectors
What is the duration
  • Up to 2 years.
Is it renewable
  • Yes.
Passes for family
  • Available for eligible pass holders.
Quota or levy
Medical insurance
  • Employers must provide medical insurance for S Pass holders.
Relevant legislation
  • Conditions of Work Pass
  • Employment of Foreign Manpower Act

 Eligibility for S Pass

Only eligible candidates will be considered for an S Pass. Criteria include a minimum salary of $2,500 with effect from 01-October-2020 and acceptable qualifications. Use the Self-Assessment Tool to check a candidate’s eligibility before you apply.

Who is eligible

The S Pass is for mid-skilled foreign employees (e.g. technicians) who meet these criteria:

  • Fixed monthly salary of at least $2,500. The salary should reflect work experience.
  • Older and more experienced applicants need higher salaries to qualify than the qualifying salary.
  • A degree or diploma. MOM may consider technical certificates, such as courses for qualified technicians or specialists.
  • The certification should include at least 1 year of full-time study.
  • Years of relevant work experience.
  • Application for an S Pass is open to all nationalities.

Use the Self-Assessment Tool (SAT) to check if the applicant qualifies for the pass.

Note: You cannot employ foreign workers to work at a food stall in a hawker centre, coffee shop or food court. Such operations are small scale and should be manned by owners or family members.

Objectionable or Ineligible Occupations for an S Pass in Singapore

The list of objectionable occupations includes masseurs, bar and lounge hostesses. Food stall owners with an Singapore Food Agency (SFA) or National Environment Agency (NEA) licence are also not eligible to apply for an S Pass.

Who can apply

An employer or authorised third party has to apply for a candidate’s S Pass.

Self-Assessment Tool

MOM encourages you to use the Self-Assessment Tool (SAT) to get an indication of whether an applicant meets the requirements. Candidates can also use the tool to assess their eligibility.

If the SAT shows that the candidate is not eligible, you shouldn’t apply for the S Pass because it will be rejected.

If the SAT shows that the candidate is eligible, there is around a 90% chance that the candidate will get a pass.


Appeal against rejection

Can I appeal against a rejected S Pass application?

You have 3 months to appeal an unsuccessful S Pass application, but you should do so only if you can address the reasons for rejection.

MOM has tightened the criteria for the S Pass to raise the overall quality of Singapore foreign workforce. Unfortunately, not every application will be successful.

You can check the rejection advisory in EP Online to view the reasons for rejection and advice on what to do next. If you applied manually, check the rejection letter.

When to appeal

You should only appeal if you can address the issues in your rejection advisory. There will be no change in the outcome unless there is new information in the appeal.

To help you make your decision:

  • Use the Self­-Assessment Tool (SAT) to get an idea of whether the applicant qualifies
  • Check the rejection advisory for the steps you need to take

You need to submit your appeal within 3 months of getting the rejection. If you miss this time period, you will have to submit a new application.

Who can appeal

Only the employer or the authorised third party who submitted the application can make enquiries or appeals. MOM will not entertain enquiries or appeals from the candidate, or anyone else.

Submit an appeal

When: Within 3 months of rejection

You can make an appeal through EP Online.

After making your appeal, you can log in to EP Online to:

  • Check the status of your appeal.
  • Print the outcome letter.

MOM will not be able to discuss appeal matters in person due to the high volume of appeals.

How long it takes

85% of appeals are processed within 3 weeks.

You can always log in to EP Online to check your appeal status.


Passes for Family Members

Pass holders who have a fixed monthly salary of at least $6,000, are eligible for a Dependant’s Pass for their spouse and children. If you are legally married or have children, you may be eligible for a Dependant’s Pass.

From 1 January 2018, work pass holders will need to meet a minimum salary criteria of $6,000 to enjoy dependant privileges.

Eligibility for Long Term Visit Pass

Eligible S Pass holders can bring certain family members to Singapore on a Long Term Visit Pass.

You can apply for a Long Term Visit Pass for your family if you meet these requirements:

  • Hold an Employment Pass or S Pass.
  • Earn a minimum fixed monthly salary of $6,000.
  • Are sponsored by an established, Singapore-registered company (usually your employer).

You can get a pass for the following family members:

  • Common-law spouse.
  • Unmarried handicapped children above 21 years old.
  • Unmarried step-children under 21 years old.
  • Parents – only for those earning a fixed monthly salary of at least $12,000.

Employers can submit the application together with the S Pass application or separately at a later date.

Stages of Pass

Get an idea of what you need to do before, during and after you apply for an S Pass.

Before Applying:
  • Know the eligibility and requirements
  • Know your quota and levy
  • Declare business activity (applicable for first time employers)
  • Check the documents required for applying
Before candidate arrives in Singapore:
  • Apply for pass
After candidate arrives in Singapore
  • Buy medical insurance and submit details
  • Get the pass issued
  • Register fingerprints and photo
  • Receive the pass card
As and when required:
  • Notify with any changes
  • Renewal of pass
  • Replace a lost or damaged pass card
  • Cancel a pass


S Pass medical insurance requirements

Before you can issue or renew an S Pass, you must buy medical insurance for the pass holder and submit the details online.

What it should cover

As part of an employer’s S Pass medical obligations, you must buy and maintain medical insurance for your S Pass holders as long they are under your employment.

The insurance coverage must be at least $15,000 per year and cover inpatient care and day surgery.

Co-pay arrangement

You can have a co-pay arrangement with the S Pass holder only if all of the following are met:

  • The medical treatment is not for work-related inpatient expenses.
  • The co-pay amount is reasonable and does not exceed 10% of the worker’s monthly salary.
  • The duration co-payment does not exceed 6 months.
  • The co-payment option is explicitly in the employment contract or collective agreement and has the worker’s full consent.


You cannot pass on the cost of purchasing the medical insurance to S Pass holders.

Submit insurance details

You need to submit medical insurance details online before you request to issue or renew an S Pass, and when the insurance details change.

You can submit the medical insurance details through:

WP Online

EP Online – you can submit the details when you issue the S Pass.

You need to keep the following information up to date:

  • Name of insurer
  • Insurance policy number
  • Insurance policy commencement date
  • Insurance policy expiry date

MOM encourages you to get a WP Online account to make it easier for you to update your employees’ medical insurance. Registration is free.

Click the below link to learn more about upcoming enhancement of Medical Insurance to S Pass & Work Permit holders including Domestic Helpers

Enhanced Coverage For SP, WP-FW & WP-FDW


Infographic of Primary Care Plan by MOM WEF 01 Apr 2022Primary Healthcare System and Primary Care Plan (PCP) For CMP S Pass holders

From 1 April 2022, under Primary Healthcare System (PHS), you must buy a Primary Care Plan (PCP) for eligible workers. You can buy from Anchor Operators (AOs).

Before COVID-19, migrant workers lacked access to accessible and affordable healthcare services near their residence, workplaces and recreational areas. COVID-19 has exposed the care and systemic gaps in migrant workers’ healthcare services.

The PHS provides integrated healthcare services for eligible workers.

A PCP is mandatory for Work Permit holders (excluding MDWs) and S Pass holders who:

  • Stay in dormitories.


  • Work in CMP sectors.

All eligible workers must have PCP by 31 March 2023, even if their renewal is after 31 March 2023.

A PCP is optional if your worker doesn’t stay in a dormitory, or doesn’t work in a CMP sector. However, MOM strongly encourages you to buy PCP for your workers for better protection against unexpected healthcare bills.

If your workers are not covered under a PCP, they can still get medical help at any MOM Medical Centres based on their fees.

Learn more about PCP) For CMP S Pass holders


S Pass quota and levy requirementsInfographic for S Pass Levy For All Sectors

The number of S Pass holders you can hire is limited by a quota. You must also pay a monthly levy for these workers.

Learn more about S Pass quota and levy requirements

Calculate Foreign Worker Quota

Use the quota calculator below to plan how many Work Permit and S Pass holders your company can hire based on your sector and workforce.

Note: If you’re checking for services sector, please remember to choose the correct year, e.g. 2020.


Infographic for foreign worker levy for work permit & S Pass holdersLevy Waiver For Foreign Worker

You can get a waiver for your foreign worker levy payments only in certain specific situations. These include overseas leave and hospitalisation leave.

Learn more about Levy Waiver For Foreign Worker

Renewal of S Pass

You can apply to renew an S Pass if you want the pass holder to continue working for you. This is provided you still meet the quota and other requirements as set by MOM.

Learn more about renewal of S Pass

Notify MOM Of Changes Of Particulars For S Pass Holders

If you’re an S Pass holder or employer, find out when and how to notify MOM of changes, including updates to company name and address, occupation, salary and residential address.

Learn more about notification with MOM of any changes of particulars of S Pass holders

Cancellation of S Pass In Singapore

You must cancel an S Pass if the pass holder no longer works for you or when the pass expires. You must also discard the cancelled pass card. 

Learn more about cancellation of S Pass

FAQ On S Pass

Find answers to commonly asked questions pertaining to S Pass in Singapore.

Learn detailed FAQ on S Pass


Please refer to MOM website at www.mom.gov.sg or www.cpf.gov.sg for more detailed information and up-to-date guidelines with regulations.

ACHI BIZ is one of the licensed Employment Agencies in Singapore. We will assist your work pass related applications and appeals at our level best with the regulatory authority Ministry Of Manpower (MOM) for successful outcome.
Please refer to our GUIDES for more information, SERVICES to meet your requirements or CONTACT us if you wish to avail these or many other services.