Workers with tools at the work site with helmetsSingapore Work Permit for Foreign Worker (FW)

The Work Permit (WP) allows semi-skilled foreign workers from approved source countries to work in certain sectors such as Construction, Manufacturing, Marine Shipyard, Process or Services with sector-specific requirements. Employers are limited by a quota for their industry and have to pay a monthly levy for each worker.

A group of people with different occupations for infographic
Singapore Passes available for Skilled And Semi-Skilled Workers
Comparison of All Skilled And Semi-Skilled Work Passes And Work Permits In Singapore



Guides, Posters & Brochures for Migrant Workers

Click the below Guides to learn more or download

Salary and payment:

Work pass

You must work only in the occupation and for the employer specified in your work pass.

Employment Agency (EA)

Check your Employment Agency licence at:

  • https://bit.ly/37N94oJ

Harmonious work-life

Primary Care Plan (PCP)

Primary care plan to cover outpatient costs for CMP workers.

Seek help for your employment problems

Find out who you can approach for your employment problems

Available channels for Migrant Workers to seek help


Key facts on Singapore Work Permit for foreign worker

Get an overview and key facts about the Work Permit for foreign workers.

Pass facts

Key facts about the Work Permit (WP) for foreign workers:

Who it is for

Who can apply

  • An employer or appointed employment agent needs to apply for the permit.

Qualifying salary

  • No minimum required.

What is the duration

  • Up to 2 years, depending on the validity of the worker’s passport, security bond and employment period.

Is it renewable

  • Yes.

Passes for family

  • Not available.

Quota and levy

  • Yes. Employers are limited by a quota for their industry and have to pay a monthly levy for each worker. Find out the quota and levy requirements.

Medical insurance

  • Employers must provide medical insurance

Primary Care Plan (PCP)

  • From 01 April 2022, employers must buy the Primary Care Plan (PCP) for Work Permit holders who stay in dormitories or work in the CMP sectors.

Relevant legislation


Sector-specific Requirements

5 different pictures depicting the 5 major sectors in SingaporeThere are Sector-Specific requirements for all five sectors for recruiting Foreign Work Permit holders.
(click on the below type of Sector for specific requirements or image for general functions):
Process Chart For Pte Ltd Co.
Types of Sectors with Sector-Specific Requirements For Work Permit (FW)
A frame containing infographic of roadmap for Construction Co
Construction Sector
A frame containing infographic of functioning of a Manufacturing Co
Manufacturing Sector
A frame containing infographic of Marine Shipyard Pte Ltd Company
Marine Shipyard Sector
A frame containing infographic of PCM Pte Ltd Co
Process Construction & Maintenance Sector
A frame containing infographic of a Service Sector Pte Ltd Company
Services Sector


Click here to learn more about Work Permit Conditions For Work Permit (For Foreign Workers)

As and when required:
  • Notify MOM of any changes
  • Apply for levy waiver
  • Renew the Work Permit
  • Replace the Work Permit
  • Cancel the Work Permit


Security bond requirements for foreign worker

You must buy a security bond for each non-Malaysian foreign worker you employ. You can buy the bond at any bank or insurance company.

What is a security bond

A security bond is a binding pledge to pay the government if either you or your worker breaks the law or Work Permit conditions. The bond is in the form of a banker’s or insurer’s guarantee.

  • You must buy a $5,000 security bond for each non-Malaysian Work Permit holder you employ.
  • You cannot ask your worker to pay for the bond.
When to buy the bond

Before your worker arrives in Singapore, you must:

  1. Buy a security bond.
  2. Get your insurer to send the security bond details to MOM. It usually takes up to 3 working days.
  3. Ensure that the security bond takes effect when your worker arrives.
  4. Log in to WP Online to check the security bond status and print the security bond acknowledgement letter. Send your worker a copy of the letter.

If you do not complete the steps above, your workers will be refused entry into Singapore and you will have to pay to send them home immediately.

When will the bond be discharged

You will be discharged from the security bond liability for a worker only if you meet all of these conditions:

  • You have cancelled the Work Permit.
  • The worker has returned home.
  • You did not breach any of the conditions of the security bond.

If all conditions are met, the security bond will usually be discharged one week after the worker left Singapore.

You’ll be notified by post when the security bond is discharged.

When the bond will be forfeited

Your security bond may be forfeited if any of these happens:

  • You or your worker violates any of the conditions of the Work Permit or security bond.
  • You don’t pay your worker’s salary on time.
  • You fail to send your worker home when the Work Permit is expired, revoked or cancelled.
  • Your worker goes missing.

You will not be liable for your workers’ violations (such as those relating to pregnancy) if you can prove that you have:

  • Informed them of the Work Permit conditions they must comply with.
  • Reported a violation when you first become aware of it.


Medical insurance requirements for foreign worker

You need to buy a medical insurance plan for each foreign worker you employ. You also need to submit the insurance details online before the Work Permit can be issued.

What it should cover

As an employer, you must buy and maintain medical insurance coverage of at least $15,000 per year for each Work Permit holder.

The insurance should cover inpatient care and day surgery, including hospital bills for conditions that may not be work related.

You can have a co-pay arrangement with the Work Permit holder only if all of the following are met:

  • The medical treatment is not for work-related inpatient expenses.
  • The co-pay amount is reasonable and does not exceed 10% of the worker’s monthly salary.
  • The duration co-payment does not exceed 6 months.
  • The co-payment option is explicitly in the employment contract or collective agreement and has the worker’s full consent.

You cannot pass on the cost of purchasing the medical insurance to Work Permit holders.

Submit insurance details

You need to submit medical insurance details online before you request to issue or renew a Work Permit, and when the details change.

To update the information, log in to WP Online.

You need to keep the following information up to date:

  • Name of Insurer
  • Insurance policy number
  • Insurance policy commencement date
  • Insurance policy expiry date

Click the below link to learn more about upcoming enhancement of Medical Insurance to S Pass & Work Permit holders including Domestic Helpers

Enhanced Coverage For SP, WP-FW & WP-FDW


Infographic of Primary Care Plan by MOM WEF 01 Apr 2022Primary Healthcare System and Primary Care Plan (PCP) For CMP Workers

From 1 April 2022, under Primary Healthcare System (PHS), you must buy a Primary Care Plan (PCP) for eligible workers. You can buy from Anchor Operators (AOs).

Before COVID-19, migrant workers lacked access to accessible and affordable healthcare services near their residence, workplaces and recreational areas. COVID-19 has exposed the care and systemic gaps in migrant workers’ healthcare services.

The PHS provides integrated healthcare services for eligible workers.

A PCP is mandatory for Work Permit holders (excluding MDWs) and S Pass holders who:

  • Stay in dormitories.


  • Work in CMP sectors.

All eligible workers must have PCP by 31 March 2023, even if their renewal is after 31 March 2023.

A PCP is optional if your worker doesn’t stay in a dormitory, or doesn’t work in a CMP sector. However, MOM strongly encourages you to buy PCP for your workers for better protection against unexpected healthcare bills.

If your workers are not covered under a PCP, they can still get medical help at any MOM Medical Centres based on their fees.

Learn more about PCP For CMP Workers


Settling-in Programme (SIP) for Work Permit holders

The SIP is a 1-day orientation programme to educate foreign workers on Singapore’s social norms, their employment rights and responsibilities, Singapore laws and where and how to seek assistance.

Learn more about Settling-in Programme (SIP)

Work Permit quota and levy requirements

The number of Work Permit holders you can hire is limited by a quota. You must also pay a monthly levy for these workers.

Learn more about Work Permit quota and levy requirements

Infographic for foreign worker levy for work permit & S Pass holdersLevy Waiver For Foreign Worker

You can get a waiver for your foreign worker levy payments only in certain specific situations. These include overseas leave and hospitalisation leave.

Learn more about Levy Waiver For Foreign Worker

A man with multi task skillsApply for a Work Permit

To employ migrant workers, you can apply for their Work Permits using WP Online. You can also use the eService to check the application status. You also need to take certain steps before the Work Permit is issued.

Learn more about applying for a Work Permit for Foreign Worker

Construction Workers working on roadRenewal of Work Permit for Foreign Worker

You can renew a Work Permit online 6 to 8 weeks before it expires. Before renewing, you also need to complete certain steps, such as checking your quota and extending the worker’s security bond and medical insurance.

Learn more about renewal of Work Permit for Foreign Worker

Cancellation of Work Permit for Foreign Worker (FW)

You must cancel a Work Permit if your worker no longer works for you or when the Work Permit expires. You must also discard the cancelled Work Permit card.

Learn more about cancellation of Work Permit for Foreign Worker (FW)

Info-graphic for updatingNotify MOM Of Changes Of Particulars For Work Permit holders

If you employ Work Permit holders (Foreign Workers), you need to notify MOM of changes during their employment, including updates to company name and address, worker’s occupation, passport details, and residential address.

Learn more about notification with MOM of any changes of particulars of WP holders (FW)

Road Map For Conversion or Upgrading of Work Permit To S PassConversion or Upgrading of a Work Permit (FW) to an S Pass

When you are holding a Work Permit either as Foreign Worker (FW) or a Foreign Domestic Worker (FDW / Helper / Maid) and wish to upgrade to an S Pass, you can make it provided you meet out the stricter criteria set by MOM which you could check your eligibility by using the Self-Assessment Tool (SAT) first before you proceed for such conversion or upgrade which is open to all Nationalities.

Learn more about Conversion or Upgrading of Work Permit (FW) To S Pass

Work Permit ConditionsA person holding the sign with Terms & Conditions

As an employer of migrant workers, you must comply with a set of Work Permit conditions during their employment. A Work Permit (WP) is generally issued to unskilled or semi-skilled migrant workers.

The Work Permit duration is generally 2 years, subject to the validity of the worker’s passport, the security bond and the worker’s employment period, whichever is shorter.

Learn more about Work Permit Conditions

A thinking man with question markFAQ On Work Permit (WP) For Foreign Workers (FW)

Find answers to some commonly asked questions about Work Permit (WP) for Foreign Workers (FW).

Learn more about FAQ On WP For Foreign Workers (FW)


Transfer of Work Permit for Foreign Worker (FW)

Due to CV-19 pandemic, MOM is currently allowing the existing Work Permit holder to transfer from the current employer to new employer when meeting some specific criteria.

This special arrangement is currently allowed which is subject to end when the normal situation resumes with no travel restrictions, etc. Hence, please visit MOM website for latest update on this matter.

Please visit MOM or use the below links to learn more about hiring an existing worker in respective Sector:

  • Construction Worker: https://bit.ly/3qasV6w
  • Manufacturing Worker: https://bit.ly/3ITYJoZ
  • Marine Shipyard Worker: https://bit.ly/31ok1tZ
  • PCM Worker: https://bit.ly/3GTppEn
  • Service Sector Worker: https://bit.ly/3ITYJoZ

Please refer to MOM website at www.mom.gov.sg or www.cpf.gov.sg for more detailed information and up-to-date guidelines with regulations.


ACHI is one of the licensed Employment Agencies in Singapore. We will assist your work pass related applications and appeals at our level best with the regulatory authority Ministry Of Manpower (MOM) for successful outcome.


Please refer to our GUIDES for more information, SERVICES to meet your requirements or CONTACT us if you wish to avail these or many other services.