The Employment Pass (EP) allows foreign professionals, managers and executives to work in Singapore. Candidates need to earn at least $3,600 a month and have acceptable qualifications.
Employer must advertise on the Jobs Bank for at least 14 calendar days unless MOM has explicitly
exempted the company or job from this requirement. Click here for more details about it.
Get a quick overview of the Employment Pass to decide if it is the right pass for you.
Who it is for
Who can apply
What is the duration
Is it renewable
Passes for family
Foreign worker levy or quota
Eligibility for Employment Pass
Only eligible candidates will be considered for an Employment Pass. Criteria include a minimum salary of $3,600 and acceptable qualifications. Use the Self-Assessment Tool to check a candidate’s eligibility before you apply.
Who is eligible
The Employment Pass is for foreign professionals who:
- Have a job offer in Singapore.
- Work in a managerial, executive or specialised job.
- Earn a fixed monthly salary of at least $3,600 (more experienced candidates need higher salaries).
- Have acceptable qualifications, usually a good university degree, professional qualifications or specialist skills.
Application for an Employment Pass is open to all nationalities.
Note on salaries:
- Young graduates from good institutions can qualify if they earn at least $3,600.
- Older, more experienced candidates need higher salaries to qualify.
Note on acceptable qualifications:
- There is no list of approved institutions. Instead, MOM evaluates each application on its own merit, based on a wide range of criteria such as global and country rankings, and enrolment standards.
- Candidates without acceptable qualifications may not necessarily be rejected. Similarly, having acceptable qualifications does not guarantee approval.
- MOM looks at other factors such as proven track records and exceptional skill sets on a case-by-case basis.
Self-Assessment Tool (SAT)
Ministry Of Manpower (MOM) encourages you to use the Self-Assessment Tool (SAT) to get an indication of whether a candidate meets the Employment Pass requirements. Candidates can also use the tool to assess their eligibility.
If the SAT shows that the candidate is not eligible, you shouldn’t apply for the Employment Pass because it will be rejected.
If the SAT shows that the candidate is eligible, there is around a 90% chance that the candidate will get a pass.
If you are an overseas employer that does not have a registered office in Singapore:
- You need to get a Singapore-registered company to act as a local sponsor and apply on your behalf.
- The local sponsor must apply manually.
The candidate will still need to meet the Employment Pass criteria.
Passes for family of Employment Pass holders
As an Employment Pass holder, you can get certain family members to join you in Singapore if you meet the eligibility requirements.
Who is eligible
To be eligible, you need to:
- Earn at least $6,000 a month.
- Hold an Employment Pass.
From 1 January 2018, work pass holders will need to meet a minimum salary criteria of $6,000 to enjoy dependant privileges.
These are the family members you can bring in and the type of pass they need:
|Family member||Pass type|
|Legally married spouse|| |
|Unmarried children under 21, including those legally adopted|| |
|Common-law spouse|| |
|Unmarried handicapped children above 21|| |
|Unmarried step-children under 21|| |
(Only for EP holders earning at least $12,000)
How to apply
To apply, your employer will need to submit a separate application for each family member. The application can be submitted together with the Employment Pass application or separately.
Apply for a Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP)
You can apply for a Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP) for family members of your eligible Employment Pass or S Pass employees.
At a glance
|Who can apply|| |
|How to apply|| |
|How long it takes|| |
These are the steps for applying:
|Step||Who does this||Result|
|Submit an application|| || |
|Get the pass issued|| || |
|Register fingerprints and photo (if required)|| || |
|Receive the card|| || |
- You can submit the application along with the main pass holder’s work pass application or at a later date. Submit a separate application for each family member.
- If the foreigner is in Singapore with a visit pass that will expire before the Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP) is issued, MOM won’t be able to extend the visit pass.
- You should only bring in the foreigner when the pass is approved. They don’t need to be in Singapore when you apply and MOM won’t be able to extend their visit pass.
Documents required for Employment Pass
You need to submit documents such as copies of passport details and educational certificates along with the Employment Pass application.
You will need these documents to apply for an Employment Pass:
- Personal particulars page of the candidate’s passport.
- Company’s latest business profile or instant information registered with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA).
- Candidate’s educational certificates, e.g. degree certificate. You will need additional documents for:
|Qualifications from||Additional documents needed|
MOM may ask for other documents during review of your application.
If you are asked for the verification proof of your candidate’s qualifications, you can get it from Dataflow or other global verification agencies. Alternatively, if the verification agency or educational institute has an online instant verification portal, you can submit the screenshot and web page address showing the verification result.
For non-English documents, you must submit the original document and an English translation. The translation can be done by a translation service provider.
You will need to submit additional documents for the following:
For regional representatives of overseas companies
You will need:
- A copy of the approval letter from Enterprise Singapore for setting up the representative office in Singapore.
- A letter from the representative’s office headquarters stating:
- The purpose of the application.
- The duration of the candidate’s assignment.
- A guarantee for the maintenance and repatriation of the candidate.
For healthcare professionals, lawyers, football players or coaches
You will need supporting documents from the respective professional bodies:
|Diagnostic radiographer|| |
|Football player or coach|| |
|Occupational therapist|| |
|Radiation therapist|| |
|Speech therapist|| |
|TCM practitioner|| |
For employees in a food establishment
A copy of the foodshop licence issued by NEA.
If you have a new establishment and don’t have the licence from NEA yet, you can submit a copy of the “Application for Foodshop Licence” letter issued to you by NEA.
- Know the eligibility and requirements
- Check the documents required
Before candidate arrives in Singapore:
- Apply for pass
After candidate arrives in Singapore:
- Get the pass issued
- Register for fingerprints and photo
- Receive the pass card
As and when required:
- Notify with any changes
- Renewal of pass
- Replace a lost or damaged pass card
- Cancel a pass
You can apply to renew an Employment Pass if you want the pass holder to continue working for you. This is provided you still meet the criteria or requirements set by MOM.
You must cancel an Employment Pass (EP) if the pass holder no longer works for you or when the pass expires. You must also return the cancelled pass card.
Taking up secondary directorship
Eligible companies can appoint Employment Pass holders from another related company to their Board of Directors.
At a glance
|Who can apply|| |
|How long it takes|| |
|Documents required|| |
Directorship with related company
If you decide to appoint an Employment Pass holder from another company to your Board of Directors, they will need to carry out directorship duties under the Companies Act.
As the employer:
- You must ensure that the Employment Pass holder’s employer has no objections to the Employment Pass holder taking on directorship.
- You must get approval from MOM by applying for a Letter of Consent (LOC) at: https://form.gov.sg/forms/mom/5b88b36bdcac67000fec0403 as directorship duties are considered work.
- If approved, you can then proceed to register the directorship position with ACRA.
MOM will generally grant an LOC only if:
- Your company is related by shareholding to the Employment Pass holder’s employer. This must be reflected in ACRA records.
- Employment Pass holder is taking up the secondary directorship for purposes related to their primary employment.
You can refer to the factsheet on EP holders taking up secondary directorship appointments for more information.