From 1 April 2016, all employers in Singapore must issue KEY EMPLOYMENT TERMS (KETs) in writing to employees covered by the Employment Act.
Employers must issue KETs in writing to all employees in Singapore who:
- Enter into a contract of service on or after 1 April 2016.
- Are covered by the Employment Act.
- Are employed for 14 days or more. This refers to the length of contract, not the number of days of work.
- Within 14 days from the start of employment.
- Soft or hard copy, including handwritten.
- Common KETs, e.g. leave policy, medical benefits, can be provided in employee handbook or company intranet.
Items to include
KETs must include the items below, unless the item is not applicable. For example, if the employee is a PME and overtime pay does not apply, the KETs issued do not need to include items 11 to 12.
- Job title, main duties and responsibilities.
- Start date of employment.
- Duration of employment (if employee is on fixed-term contract).
- Working arrangements, such as:
- Daily working hours (e.g. 8.30am – 6pm).
- Number of working days per week (e.g. six).
- Rest day (e.g. Saturday).
- Basic salary.
- For hourly, daily or piece-rated workers, employers should also indicate the basic rate of pay (e.g. $ X per hour, day or piece).
- Overtime payment period (if different from item 7 salary period).
- Other salary-related components, such as:
- Type of leave, such as:
- Annual leave
- Outpatient sick leave
- Hospitalisation leave
- Maternity leave
- Childcare leave
- Other medical benefits, such as:
- Medical benefits
- Dental benefits
- (Optional) Place of work.
- Used if the work location is different from the employer’s address.
- Although optional, you are strongly encouraged to include this info.
KET Sample Forms & Tripartite Guidelines
Source of Information for all Work Passes & their related matters is from the Ministry Of Manpower & TAFEP.
You may wish to visit Ministry Of Manpower (MOM) online for detailed information and current updates.
Please CONTACT us if you wish to know more about this service or many other services.