FAQ On Personalised Employment Pass (PEP)

A thinking man with question markFrequently Asked Questions (FAQs) On Personalised Employment Pass (PEP)

Your burning Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) are answered here which would lead you to have a clear picture of features of PEP in Singapore.

Can I apply for a PEP while on a visit pass? Can I authorise Employment Agency to apply for a PEP?
  • Yes. You or authorised Employment Agency can submit your Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) application electronically.
  • You’ll still need to provide a local contact person’s details with your Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) application.
  • It will take around 8 weeks to get processed by MOM.
An employee at my company has changed from an EP to a PEP. Should I cancel their existing EP?
  • Yes, you should cancel their Employment Pass (EP) after the Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) application is approved.
  • They will need a cancellation letter from your company when they pick up the PEP.
  • You can continue employing them as you would a Singapore citizen or PR, as long as you notify MOM that you’re employing a PEP holder.
Can I cancel my PEP before the 3 years are up?
  • Yes, you can.
  • Cancellation is permanent, so ensure that you have a valid pass that lets you stay in Singapore (e.g. Employment Pass, Social Visit Pass, etc).
Can I work outside of Singapore while on a PEP?
  • Yes, you can work overseas as long as necessary, if it’s for your Singapore-based employer.
  • The same requirements will still apply.
  • If you want to leave Singapore for more than 6 months to work for an overseas employer, you should cancel your Personalised Employment pass (PEP).
Can I have additional Employment while on a PEP?
  • PEP holders can only take on additional employment after getting MOM’s approval.
  • Use the Notification Form to seek prior approval from MOM before any additional employment.
  1. Completing the PEP notification form.
  2. Email the completed form to mom_pep_notification@mom.gov.sg.
Do I need a sponsor or a banker’s guarantee to apply for a PEP?
  • No. You do not need to be sponsored by a company, but you cannot be unemployed in Singapore for more than 6 months at a time.
  • A banker’s guarantee is not needed.
Do I need to cancel my PEP if I change employer or terminate my employment?
  • No, your Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) will stay valid.
  • However, you’ll need to notify MOM of any changes in employer or employment status.
  1. Completing the PEP notification form.
  2. Email the completed form to mom_pep_notification@mom.gov.sg.
How can my company hire a PEP holder?
  • You can hire a Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) holder the same way you would hire a Singapore citizen or PR, as long as your company hasn’t been restricted by MOM against employing foreigners on a work pass.
  • If you’ve hired, or have ceased to employ a PEP holder, inform MOM by:
  1. Completing the PEP notification form.
  2. Email the completed form to mom_pep_notification@mom.gov.sg.
How do I appeal a rejected Personalised Employment Pass application?
  • You can submit an appeal in writing within 3 months using iSubmit.
  • Under “Request Type”, choose “option 1”.
  • It will take at least 6 weeks to review your appeal by MOM.
  • If you don’t appeal within 3 months, you’ll need to re-apply.
How long does the visa issued with the PEP last?
  • Visas will be issued for 3 years, the duration of the Personalised Employment Pass (PEP). The holder can travel in and out of Singapore during that time.
If I’m an EP holder, do I need to tell my employer that I’m applying for a PEP?
  • Yes, you should.
  • If your Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) application is successful, your employer will have to issue a cancellation letter for your existing Employment Pass (EP).
Must I be employed while applying for a PEP?
  • No. If you live overseas and your fixed monthly salary was at least S$18,000 in the last six months, you’re eligible for the Personalised Employment Pass (PEP).
My company has just terminated a PEP holder’s employment. What’s our tax obligation?

Your company’s tax clearance obligation remains the same:

  • Notify IRAS at least one month before the employee’s last day.
  • Withhold the employee’s pay once notice is given (either by you or them).
  • Within 30 days, IRAS will advise how much tax is due, and how much money can be paid to the employee.
  • You’ll need to do this whether or not the Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) holder is leaving Singapore.
Should I submit my PEP application, or should my employer?
  • If you’re currently an Employment Pass (EP) holder, you (or your authorised Employment Agency) should submit your Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) application, and not your employer.
  • The PEP is non-renewable and does not restrict you to any one company, so you should decide whether to apply for it, and not your employer.
  • You may wish to engage any licensed Employment Agency (EA) to assist with your PEP application.
What happens to a PEP holder who fails to meet the pass requirements?
  • If you’re a PEP (Personalised Employment Pass) holder but you no longer meet the requirements, your PEP will be cancelled.
Why do I need a local contact person for my PEP application?
  • MOM requires a local contact in the event of an emergency. They should be a Singapore citizen or PR at least 21 years old.
  • They will not be liable for your Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) application in any way.


ACHI BIZ is one of the licensed Employment Agencies in Singapore. We will assist your work pass related applications and appeals at our level best with the regulatory authority Ministry Of Manpower (MOM) for successful outcome.
Please refer to our GUIDES for more information, SERVICES to meet your requirements or CONTACT us if you wish to avail these or many other services.