Termination Of Employment Without Notice In Singapore

Termination of Employment Without Notice In Singapore

If you resign without giving notice, you need to pay salary in lieu of notice. Termination without notice can happen in situations such as breaking the terms of the contract, failure to pay salary and absence without cause.
Either you or your employer may terminate a contract without waiting for the notice period to end.
You can do so by paying the other party compensation in lieu of notice (“notice pay”). This is money equivalent to the salary that you would have earned during the required notice period.

Termination due to breach of employment terms

Either you or your employer may terminate employment without notice when the terms of employment have been breached.
The party that breached the terms of employment must pay compensation in lieu of notice.

What is considered a breach

You can leave without notice if your employer fails to pay your salary within 7 daysof it being due. However, you should check with your employer why payment hasn’t been made before deciding whether to leave.
You are considered in breach of contract, and your employer can terminate employment without notice, if you are:

  • Absent from work continuously for more than 2 working days without approval and a good excuse.
  • Absent from work continuously for more than 2 working days without informing and attempting to inform your employer of the reason.

Changes to terms and conditions of work

Your employer cannot change the terms and conditions of employment without your consent. If you do not agree to the changes, you should negotiate with your employer for an agreement acceptable to both.
If there is no agreement, either party may choose to end the contract by serving the notice period.

Compensation from employees for ending a contract

Your contract may require you to pay a monetary compensation (in addition to notice pay) for terminating the contract before a specified period.
Such terms are not covered by the Employment Act and are based on the contract of service. Any disputes have to be settled by the civil court.
Source of Information for Employment, all Work Passes & their related matters is from the Ministry Of Manpower & TAFEP.
You may wish to visit Ministry Of Manpower (MOM) online for detailed information and current updates.

Please CONTACT us if you wish to know more about this service or many other services.