Shared Parental Leave In Singapore

Shared Parental Leave In Singapore

As a working father, you can currently apply to share up to 4 weeks of your wife’s 16 weeks of Government-Paid Maternity Leave, subject to your wife’s agreement.


If you are a working father, including one who is self-employed, you are entitled to shared parental leave if you meet the following requirements:

  • Your child is a Singapore citizen.
  • The child’s mother qualifies for Government-Paid Maternity Leave (GPML).
  • You are lawfully married to the child’s mother.

You may also be eligible for another 2 weeks of Government-Paid Paternity Leave.


If your citizen child is born, or has an estimated delivery date (EDD) on or after 1 July 2017, you are entitled to take up to 4 weeks of shared parental leave, capped at $2,500 per week, including CPF. The shared parental leave is allocated in blocks of full weeks, e.g. your wife can allocate 1 to 4 weeks of shared parental leave.
If your citizen child is born, or has an EDD before 1 July 2017, you will be entitled to 1 week of shared parental leave, capped at $2,500, including CPF.

You can take your leave as follows:
Arrangement Up to 4 weeks
  • Default, without any mutual agreement
  • Take in a continuous stretch within 12 months after the birth of the child.
  • Flexibly, by mutual agreement
  • Take in blocks of weeks or in working days, in any combination within 12 months after the birth of the child.
  • Calculating working days
  • Number of weeks x the number of working days in the week.
  • Capped at 6 working days per week.

How to apply

For instructions on applying for leave or claiming reimbursement, you can use any of the following:

  • Visit www.profamilyleave.gov.sg
  • Call 1800 253 4757
  • Email contactus@profamilyleave.gov.sg

Find out more

To find out more about pro-family leave measures, you can:

  • Visit the Hey Baby website at www.heybaby.sg for more on other enhancements to the Marriage and Parenthood Package.
  • Read the guides for employees and employers on the Marriage and Parenthood leave measures.

Source of Information for Employment, all Work Passes & their related matters is from the Ministry Of Manpower & TAFEP.
You may wish to visit Ministry Of Manpower (MOM) online for detailed information and current updates.

Please CONTACT us if you wish to know more about this service or many other services.